Shop Online? Get Ready for Post Purchase Emails & Text Messages You Want to Read (And Make Purchases From)

An effective post-purchase strategy is key to healthy customer retention and brand loyalty. Click here to learn about post-purchase emails and text messages.

The term ‘post-purchase’ describes the experience of handling a customer after they’ve just bought your product or used your service.

Moreover, post-purchase marketing strategies should be instrumental to all businesses because of their great potential to boost consumer retention and brand loyalty. After all, having a loyal customer base is the ultimate treasure trove for any business.

And there are many post-purchase strategies that you can implement via different channels. This post attempts to zero in on two specific channels: emails and text messages. Read on to learn more.

Do Post-Purchase Emails & Texts Work?

When utilized correctly, post-purchase emails and post-purchase text messages can be highly effective in building solid relationships with clients that care about your brand and message.

In addition, consumers are happy to receive emails and texts from the different online outlets they shop from. So, why wouldn’t a customer be glad to receive a text message that confirms the shipping status of their order?

Assuredly, loyal customers are every brand’s most valuable asset, but they’re also hard to come by. According to McKinsey & Company, one of the most prominent management consulting firms in the world, loyal customers make up only 13% of online shoppers. The other 87% represent one-time customers (58%); and vulnerable customers (29%).

With an effective post-purchase strategy, you can bring the 13% that represent loyal customers to the fore and lure the other 87% into becoming loyal customers. What’s not to like?

‘Thank You’ Confirmations

In most cases, the most straightforward approach is almost always the best. Whether you’re shopping in a brick-and-mortar store or via an online outlet, a simple ‘thank you’ can go a long way.

Not only does sending your customers a simple confirmation text help provide reassurance that their order has been submitted and is in progress, but it also lets your customers know that you care about their purchase experience.

Also, feel free to get creative with your confirmation texts and emails, but make sure you do one of three things:

  • Let your customers know that their order is in motion.
  • Provide them with proof of the transaction.
  • Provide a timeline for their order.

You can do all three things together as long as it doesn’t make your confirmation text or email overwhelming.

Shipping & Delivery Status

Similar to the order confirmation text, shipping and delivery status texts and emails serve as reassurance. They help keep your customers in the loop about the status of their orders. They also happen to be the most commonly opened text and personalized emails that you can send – make them the most advantageous to your campaign.

The great thing about these messages is that they help reduce your chances of receiving shipping and delivery-related support tickets. If the customer is aware of the status of their order, they aren’t likely to ask, “Where is my delivery?”

It’s crucial for your confirmation texts to reflect your brand voice and image in order to establish a sense of trust. If they sound robotic and overly functional, customers are likely to view your texts as unsolicited or unsought. So, make sure to personalize your confirmation texts.

Product Review/Feedback Requests

Sending your customers post-purchase feedback requests helps show them that you care about their experience with the product they’ve purchased from you as well as their experience with your business altogether.

Not to mention, receiving product reviews and feedback will help you get a solid and clear grasp of how customers view your brand. It’ll also make your customers feel included and that their ideas and opinions are of value to you.

Nevertheless, there’s a fine line that you have to walk when asking customers for feedback, though. On the one hand, you want to show that you care about their experience. On the other hand, you don’t want to come across as if you’re merely seeking a star rating.

We’ve created a guide to help you get more ecommerce product reviews, so you can glean some helpful tips in advance.

Loyalty Program Invitations

Having a brand loyalty program is one of the most effective ways to boost your sales and sustain your customer base. According to reports, around 81% of online shoppers are likely to stick to a brand that has a loyalty program.

If you’re looking to improve ecommerce customer loyalty, you can use post-purchase email invitations to captivate customers to join your program. You can do so by offering them incentives, such as discounts, vouchers, and coupons.

Finally, we strongly recommend diversifying the channels you engage with your loyalty program members, as some customers may be more comfortable with specific channels than others. So, don’t just limit things to email or SMS, incorporate other proven strategies to boost loyalty to make the most of it.

Cross-Selling Post-Purchase Texts

In addition to boosting your customer retention, post-purchase text messages and emails can be used to increase your sales as well. This can be done with the aid of cross-selling texts.

Whenever a customer makes a purchase, you get an idea of their interests. For instance, if a customer buys a fishing rod and some bait, they’re most likely into fishing. So, you can use such insights to your advantage by recommending products that are closely related to your customers’ purchases via text or email.

And capitalizing on the example mentioned above, you can recommend nets, waders, traps, gaffs, spears, lures, reels, floats, or tackle boxes to that customer.

The Bottom Line

Ultimately, acquiring new customers is fairly easy compared to establishing and maintaining a loyal following of customers that care about your brand, products, and services.

The good news is that with the aid of an effective post-purchase email or message, you can zero in on brand loyalty and customer retention without spending a whole lot of money.

Email & SMS Marketing For Your Online Store

Use Action Alerts ecommerce email and SMS marketing to keep your customers updated about their order, a delivery, a return label acceptance scan and more. Remarket with Action Alerts to cross-promote and upsell new products and to keep your brand in sight. Each ReadyCloud CRM user license comes with 100 FREE Action Alerts you can use to grow your business each month. Start for free today, no credit card is needed.

Share On:



Save BIG with Consolidated Returns!
Different Orders. One Return.

Action Alerts

Growth Marketing Automation

Be Great Beyond
the Buy Button

Growth Marketing Automation
Shopify is a top-notch eCommerce platform, but it is not the perfect choice for all. Here are some of the best Shopify alternatives in 2021.Everything you ever could possibly need or want to know about ecommerce returns is included in this massive guide that leaves no unanswered questions.